Saturday, January 9, 2016

Tech Tip: Blogger Profile

I updated my profile for this blog with a picture and brief "About Me" section. Having read a lot of personal blogs over the past several years, I always find it interesting to see what people actually look like, where they're from, and other personal details. Since this is for class, I put only the basics (primary major, career goal, location), but in general I don't mind sharing things online. Because I referenced in my Introduction post that my Blogger display name is SusieBookworm, I opted to keep it that instead of signing with my real name, though I put my first name in my profile. (Edit: changed it to my actual first name on 2/5/16, since most people in the class have their actual names displayed.)

I've been on the standard social media sites since high school and at one point ran a book blog, and from the beginning I've generally limited what I post to things that I wouldn't be too embarrassed for anyone -- anyone -- that I know to run across. I'm fine with posting personal details, but typically just ones that are fairly common knowledge for my friends and family. Now that I'm in college and looking at graduate schools and careers, I'm even more careful about what exactly I post, aware that they can find it. I recently deleted my scarcely-used Twitter account, since it was mostly old book blog stuff and complaints about writing papers. But for things like these class assignments, I'm fine with anyone I know running across what I've posted and anything personal I've revealed.

1 comment:

  1. Aha, I had a little bit of coffee left and sure enough, another post from you. I'm really glad you are thinking about what does / does not make a good presence online. For me, having a presence online has been incredibly important (it's how I got this job, for example... and I love my job as you know). Next week I am doing a Twitter Bootcamp for the Academic Tech Expo, and while it is not geared to students exactly, it is very much geared to academic professionals, so if you are interested in joining in, here's all the info:
    Twitter Botocamp
    You might also enjoy going to some of the sessions at the Expo itself next Friday: there are going to be some presentations from people in the Library, for example, and also Carl Albert Center. I don't recall seeing anybody from Sam Noble participating, although they might be. It's a very full program, lots of good stuff; details here:
    OU Tech Expo 2016

    ReplyDelete