Friday, January 8, 2016

Class Overview

I will be reading the Narayan version of The Ramayana. I prefer reading physical books over digital, and I've found with other ancient translated works that modern translations often read better than older ones. I also already obtained my own copies of both the Narayan books, because I am a book hoarder prefer to read my own copies.

I'm looking forward to reading the original epics and also to the weeks later in the semester when we can branch out to other topics. I appreciate having the option to look at other legends and folktales, not just the main two epics. I'm most interested in original tales as well as modern fiction (short story or full novel) versions of them. I'm particularly looking forward to working in Breaking the Bow: Speculative Fiction Inspired by the Ramayana, which I noticed Bizzell has, as I enjoy both speculative fiction and retellings.

I've taken courses on religion, epics (Classical Mythology and Arthurian Lit), and folklore before, but, with the exception of a couple West African epics, most of the class reading has focused on North American or European topics. I have only a very basic understanding of Indian and other Asian religions and cultures, so most of this class will be new material for me. I typically enjoy epics because of how close they often come to my favorite literary form of novels, and I'm looking forward to reading more this semester!

Krishna Splits the Double Arjuna Tree
anonymous, Gujarat, India (c.1720)

I picked the image above because the style of the repetitive, one-dimensional background of trees, leaves, and fruits (or flowers?) reminded me of Pennsylvania German folk art I've been looking through lately. Actually, looking through the other images on the Indian epics image blog, I was surprised by how many seem similar (at least to me) to various Western high and folk art styles, just with Indian people and gods.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited you want to read Breaking the Bow, Susanna! It is AMAZING. I will be really curious which stories you like best; there is one in there in particular, a science fiction take on the Ramayana (it has a kind of Blade Runner feel to it) that was unforgettable for me. Also, the introduction to that book is one of the best statements on speculative fiction that I have read, not just in the context of the Ramayana.

    And I just decided something about all the books for class in Bizzell: last semester, I was able to lure students into the Library to read the comic books and graphic novels, so I left those on Reserve for Spring, but just yesterday I asked the nice Reserve guy to return the actual book-books to the stacks for regular checkout, so you'll be able to check out Breaking the Bow along with any of the other books that we have in the Library... and there is sooooo much good stuff; I need to update the reading guide pages this weekend. Maybe some people will be willing to check books out who were not keen on reading Reserves in the Library itself.

    Also, I would really recommend any/all books by Samhita Arni: we have two in the Library, and her latest book is super-cheap to buy as an ebook. Plus, she is at Twitter: it is so cool being able to be in touch with an author that way. Do you use Twitter? Here is her account if you are curious: Samhita Arni at Twitter (her latest book, Missing Queen, was one of the best books that I read last year).

    FOLK ART: India is one of the most amazing places for its range of art forms because there is high-style art, incredibly sophisticated and schooled, but also so much gorgeous folk art, and much of the folk art is dedicated to the themes of the epics and the gods and goddesses. If you want to do a project for this class that allows you to learn about the amazing art traditions of India, that would be wonderful. I don't have any formal training in it; I just browse the museums online, looking for the art I can find there, and enjoying it all so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Blade Runner feel?! Now I must check it out! Thanks for the recommendation about Samhita Arni; I hadn't heard of her before, but The Missing Queen looks great!

      Delete