Thursday, January 7, 2016

Favorite Place: Lake Junaluska

For years I've considered Lake Junaluska, up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, my favorite place. My family has typically gone up there for vacation at least twice each summer. As the United Methodist conference center for our jurisdiction, it is the place where we attend Annual Conference as well as Music & Liturgical Arts Week most years. While my family moved every few years for my dad's job (he's a United Methodist minister, in case the last sentence didn't tip you off), Lake Junaluska is a constant place to return to. It feels more familiar and more like home to me than many of the places where I've grown up.

Being in the Appalachians, the area is also gorgeous. Every time I go back to the mountains, I wonder why I chose to go to college in flat Oklahoma instead of the lovely Blue Ridge! I enjoy hiking in the region and seeing the historic sites there, and I also appreciate the proximity to Asheville with all its quirky cultural offerings. The Lake itself is a quiet area. There are often more pedestrians than car traffic, everyone's friendly (not to mention the frequency with which one runs into people they know!), there's a rose walk and several small gardens along the lakeshore, and there's often the sounds of music and worship coming from the auditorium or chapel. It's a relaxing, spiritual place, where one escapes the normal pace of everyday life to focus on community, music and dance, and appreciating this beautiful site.

 view of Lake Junaluska from Lambeth Hill cross
Daniel Hass, photographer (Oct. 2013)

2 comments:

  1. I remembered about our North Carolina connection, Susanna! And I am still here: we moved here to take care of my husband's dad, and he is still going strong, although at 94 he needs a lot more help from us than before. I am really glad my husband is not trying to fly or drive back and forth between Oklahoma and North Carolina to take care of him... plus this is a wonderful place to live, as you know. We've been here so long that when we do move again next, we're thinking of moving to the mountains here instead of coming back to Oklahoma; my husband feels the same way that you do about the mountains, and I'll live anywhere if I can have trees all around. And Asheville is so much fun: we have not been for a while, and reading your post made me think that we need to take a little road trip!

    Junaluska pretty much has to be a Cherokee name, right? Ohhhh, I looked it up: sure enough, it is a man's name and there is even an article about him in Wikipedia: Junaluska. Tsunulahunski, "one who tries but fails" — what a great name! And what a life he had. I am so glad I looked this up; that is perfect for my "learn something new every day" adventure. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susanna!

    I have actually already commented on your introduction post previously, but in the spirit of getting to know one another I decided to check out your favorite place!
    Lake Junaluska looks so beautiful and serene! I can easily see why this is one of your favorite places! It would be so cool to spend summers here with my family!

    ReplyDelete