Friday, April 1, 2016

Week 10 Storytelling: Marriage Counseling



Dr. Counselor: Well, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a case as unique as yours before. So…five husbands and one wife? I’ll try to help you out, but of course the usual marriage counseling strategies are aimed at monogamous couples. It’s going to take some creativity to adapt them. I’m up for the challenge if you’re willing to put up with some experimentation on my part.

Yudhishthira: Of course, doctor. I’m sure you’ll be able to help us.

Dr. Counselor: So can you describe what issues you seem to be having in your marriage? Jealousy, perhaps?

Arjun: Well, that’s a leading question! No, we’ve long passed any jealousy problems. Being married for over twenty years, we’ve found ways to work it out.

Dr. Counselor: So why did you all come in today?

Pandava brothers: Well…

Dr. Counselor: Yes?

Draupadi: [sighs] It’s because of me. They all get along fine. I’m the thorn in everyone’s side!

Bhima: Dear one, that’s not true! It’s just that this exile has been hard on all of us, and tensions are rising the longer we stay in the forest all together.

Nakula and Sahadeva: [mumbling] Because someone’s being a whiny b*#!@.

Dr. Counselor: Ahhh, I think I’m beginning to see the root of the issue. You’re not so different from other marriages after all –

Arjun: Yes, it seems to be the standard of woman to nag her husband about what can’t be helped!!!

Dr. Counselor: Now, now, let’s not raise our voices or point fingers. Communication is a two-way street. Brothers, what are your side of things?

Bhima: Draupadi is the perfect wife! I’m so sorry we got her into this situation. I don’t mind doing everything she wants. She deserves it, to so selflessly go into exile with us and give up so much!

Nakula: Except she then complains about everything! It’s all nag, nag, nag, “look at what a mess you’ve made of things,” “how could Yudhishthira be so stupid,” “you lost my lovely palace,” “how could husbands do this to their wife” –

Sahadeva: All she does is whine about how we need to seek vengeance! Which is totally our plan, but we have to finish our exile first and then worry about all that. The time will come, she just needs to learn patience.

Yudhishthira: It’s not all that bad. Draupadi is right – I really screwed up, and it affected all of us very negatively. Just, after so long, I feel like we’re growing distant rather than closer in our relationships with her.

Arjun: [mumbles] Yeah, I would rather be in the palaces of my other wives sometimes, but instead I’m always stuck with her.

Dr. Counselor: Draupadi, what’s your side of this?

Draupadi: I don’t think my husbands realize just how much this exile has affected me. That palace was home, it was the only place where I’d ever felt truly comfortable and in control. To lose that was devastating! And then the humiliation of the games with those Kauravas – a woman’s honor demands vengeance in such a case, and I can’t let my husbands forget their duty to serve it!

Dr. Counselor: O-kay, I think we have enough to work with here. There’s some hidden tensions here I’d like to parse out further, but those can wait for later. Like I said, the communication issues are quite clear. Let’s start by discussing how to address those, shall we?


attempted disrobing of Draupadi following Yudhishthira's loss of the game


Author's Note: Reading through Divakaruni's novel The Palace of Illusions, I was struck by Draupadi's attitudes and behavior during the Pandavas' exile. She's not a very supportive companion; rather, in her rage with the situation, she's berating her husbands about seeking revenge and making a lot of complaints and demands. She's never really had a loving relationship with the five brothers in this book, but I hate how bad it's getting at this point. I thought up the idea of marriage counseling, because I think part of the problem is that she's being blinded by her feelings, but also part of the problem is that she and the brothers aren't communicating well enough on their issues and relationships. I want them to work things out rather than just place all the blame on Draupadi's behavior.

Bibliography:
Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, The Palace of Illusions (2008)
illustration from a Mughal period Persian Mahabharata (Wikimedia Commons) 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Susanna,
    I really enjoyed reading your story this week. I can only imagine the look on the marriage counselor’s face when he found out that she was married to five brothers and his surprise when he finds out that they are not there over jealousy issues. I am sure that their exile took a really big hit in their marriages, especially Yud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susanna,

    Overall I really like your story! This is a new take on Draupadi that I don’t usually see. For example I am not use to Draupadi suggesting revenge. I like how you emphasized the idea of the brothers and Draupadi talking rather than putting the blame on each other. I also like the image you used. It is something different I have not seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susanna,

    This story immediately captivated my attention purely due to the way in which it was written. I love stories that read as a dialogue between two characters. I think it is a lot more intimate for the reader than just reading a story that is told from an outside perspective. This was a great read and super interesting! Great job.

    ReplyDelete