Saturday, April 23, 2016

Tech Tip: Pinterest Search

For this tech tip, I tried searching Pinterest for Scherenschnitte, or German/German-American papercuts. I've been interested in this craft for several years due to participating in 18th-century living history programs in North Carolina (my home region was heavily settled by Germans coming in from Pennsylvania) and have been trying to find early examples of it. Pinterest has actually been one of my best sources for finding and keeping track of Scherenschnitte -- Google searches don't work very well.

Just searching for Scherenschnitte pulls up a lot of pins for modern works, so I added "18th century" as well and found some cool new things:

watercolor, ink, and cut paper lovebird token
Wm. Johnson, probably PA, early 19th cent.
(orig. source: Sotheby's)

valentine, "Ever of thee, I'm fondly dreaming"
Salina Brown, VA, early 1870s
(orig. source: An Acquired Taste)


No comments:

Post a Comment