Friday, February 5, 2016

Week 4 Reading Diary, cont.: Sita Sings the Blues

reading (viewing): Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley (2008)

The film continued to be a mix of humorousness and thoughtfulness. I think the thing I found funniest was Ravana going to concessions to get a drinking cup for each of his heads. I also would love to know more about the music and dancing that occurs after the intermission. It felt like it should be symbolic somehow of what's going on in the story, but I don't know enough about Indian traditions to be able to recognize it.

I was also surprised at the continuation of Rama and Sita's story. In the version by Narayan that I read, I'm pretty sure it ended with them returning to Ayodhya. I'm confused about why people and Rama would still doubt Sita's purity after she THREW HERSELF ON A FIRE to prove she hadn't slept with Ravana. I loved the part where Rama's sons are taught to sing his praises, with a verse that's decidedly un-praising in the middle. Somehow I don't think that was in the original epic...

That scene in the film where Sita first proves her purity. (source: Wikimedia Commons)

I appreciated how, at the end of the film, the storytellers begin questioning their story. Rama's not so perfect after all. He has his faults in the first part of the epic, but his true failings are really revealed when he banishes Sita for years and still questions her when he runs across his sons. It's pretty ridiculous, and I'm glad she finally got fed up and left him. Unconditional love is inspiring and all that, but there comes a point where it needs to be let go of.



No comments:

Post a Comment